Print

Staying competitive. On a global scale.

Our job is to bring business to the port and economic development to the region.

 The Duluth Seaway Port Authority (DSPA) is a public agency created by state statute in 1955 to expand and improve facilities at the Port of Duluth-Superior in anticipation of the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959. Two years later, with $10 million in public funding, the Port Authority created the 120-acre Clure Public Marine Terminal, the port's only general cargo facility.

The Port of Duluth-Superior is the largest tonnage port on the Great Lakes and continues to rank among the top 25 ports in the U.S., handling an average of 35 million short tons of cargo and hosting nearly 900 vessel visits each year

Like port authorities and harbor commissions worldwide, the DSPA mission is to generate domestic and international trade, advance regional industrial development, and advocate for maritime industry interests in legislative initiatives.

The Port Authority also owns and manages multiple waterfront properties, including the Clure Public Marine Terminal and its recent 26-acre expansion, Erie Pier, and an industrial park near the Duluth International Airport (Airpark). DSPA operates a designated Foreign Trade Zone #51 at the Clure Terminal.

Operating revenue for the Port Authority is generated through land leases, storage and dockage fees, economic development investments and related financing activities. Additional funding is provided by grants from the state's Port Development Assistance Program, the City of Duluth tax levy, and project specific federal grants. The Duluth Seaway Port Authority operates under Minnesota Statutes 469.048 through 469.068 and 074.