Clure Public Marine Terminal
The Port Authority's Clure Public Marine Terminal is the only breakbulk or general cargo maritime freight facility in the harbor. All other bulk commodities are handled at privately owned/operated facilities in Duluth and Superior. For a complete listing of all dock operators, bulk cargo and grain terminals, vessel agents, freight forwarders, and local maritime service providers, please view our Port Directory.
The Clure Public Marine Terminal covers 120 acres at the center of the Duluth-Superior harbor, with dock faces on three sides at Seaway depth of 27 feet. Whether in- or outbound by water, road, or rail, this terminal has facilities, equipment, and technology to handle the largest, most complex cargoes with ease.
Lake Superior Warehousing Co., Inc. has served as the Public Terminal operator since 1991. Having earned a world-class reputation for safe, efficient handling of dimensional and heavy-lift cargo, Duluth has become a preferred transshipment hub for wind turbine components and, with over 360,000 square feet of warehouse capacity, a North American distribution center for numerous companies, predominantly in the forest products industry.
Click on the publications page to view a .pdf of our wind energy and heavy lift brochures.
The Clure Public Marine Terminal offers:
- 3 general cargo berths; 2,620 linear feet (798.6 meters) of dock wall at Seaway depth
- On-dock rail
- Direct access to four Class I rail carriers (BNSF, CN, CP, UP)
- Four tracks along the dock wall for direct cargo transfer between ship/truck/rail
- Loop track for unit train handling and other transloading options
- Easy access to three major highway corridors, including Interstate 35
- 360,000+ square feet of warehouse capacity
- 40+ acres of secure outdoor ground storage for cargo staging/assembly
- Roll-on/Roll-off (RO-RO) dock
- Twin, rail-mounted gantry cranes; each 90-ton (81-mt) lift capacity, 130 –ton (120-mt) in tandem
- Equipment for efficient ship loading and discharge
- Foreign Trade Zone #51
Quality people are the key to seamless cargo handling and transport. The Port Authority and Lake Superior Warehousing are known for their professionalism, experience, attention to detail, and unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction. They work collaboratively with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the Minnesota State Patrol, specialized trucking companies, escort drivers, rail carriers, manufacturers, and freight forwarders to ensure safe handling of all general and project cargo transshipments.